Flinders Quartet debuted its annual composer development program in 2016, and over the ensuing years has seen two different needs emerging: composers who are experienced in the craft of composing, understand string quartet writing and need their music recorded and performed to ensure their career maintains an upward trajectory; and composers who would love to take the time to learn more about writing for string quartet, and workshop their pieces over time with the guidance of a professional ensemble.
In response to the first of these needs, Flinders Quartet introduced ‘Ascend’ in 2022: a program designed to develop, perform and record high quality works by Australian composers to further aid these composers in their composition careers.
‘Ascend’ returns in 2024 and, thanks to support from the Australia Council and the Besen Family Foundation, now offers a commission fee for the successful applicants. Flinders Quartet invites submissions from all Australian composers and will be looking for applications that demonstrate excellence, a deep understanding of the string quartet and its evolution, and confidence in compositional craft.
Successful applicants will receive:
- $6,000 commission fee to write a new string quartet (10-12 mins duration)
- Time with FQ workshopping and rehearsing their composition
- High quality studio recording of their work
- Premiere performance of their new work to an in-person and live-streamed audience
- Filmed performance of their work
- Chance to be awarded an All That We Are residency with flights provided between the nearest capital city and Hobart
- Industry advocacy and career coaching
Total value: approx. $15,000 per composer
Applications for the 2024 Ascend composer program open now and close 31 August 2023. The program will commence in February 2024.
Further information about FQ’s composer programs – both ‘Emerge’ and ‘Ascend’ – can be found at flindersquartet.com/composer.